Sunday, February 21, 2010

Handsome na Kanojo (ハンサムな彼女) OAV Impressions

Mio Handomse na Kanojo @ Slice of leisure
So I felt like watching romance but something really short and obscure. I picked this early 90's anime because it's a single OAV and it's a romance anime based on the manga from the creator of Marmalade Boy. But I didn't have high expectation for it because...
the "Handsome na Kanojo" manga is 9 volumes and this OAV is 35 minutes or so. Before I give my impression, here is plot summary copied from ANN.

Plot Summary:  This is the story of young fifteen-year-old actress and model Mio Hagiwara, her school and friends, and over all, her relationship with Ichiya Kumagai, a cool young director of her age with which Mio falls in love with.

This anime is directed by Shunji Ouga and the animation production company is J.C.Staff.

Impression?

I watched this on NicoNicoDouga and my first impression is that the animation doesn't look too bad for an early 90's OAV. It started with some guy on a motorcycle going off a cliff due to break failure. Then we meet  Ichiya who tells Mio "you're acting is bad". Then the OP starts....

I must say the music is the only thing that I found decent about this entire thing. Remember CoCo? Extremely popular all girls Japanese pop group during the 80's. They did the ending song "Equal Romance" for Ranma 1/2. Anyway, Erika Haneda, who was part of CoCo, sings all the songs in the OAV -- OP and inserts.


Where should I start? This OAV was a total waste of my time! I probably wouldn't have made it through the entire thing if it weren't for NicoNico comments which made it more entertaining than it should have. The original manga consists of 9 volumes, and while the manga might be good, this OAV felt like they basically sped through all those volumes without any substance or common sense.

It basically went like this: Ichiya (main guy) meets Mio (main girl). He gives her the cold shoulders. She gets annoyed. Literally the next scene shows him complimenting her out of nowhere! And she blushes and becomes happy. Insert irrelevant new scene. Ichiya talks bad about her. She gets mad. Insert irrelevant scene. And finally a climax to end it. No substance, no depth, no characterization, no climax, nothing!


Ichiya Handomse kanojo @ Slice of LeisureHowever, there was one scene during the very end where I laughed out loud: it's the motorcycle scene where Ichiya goes off the cliff during his stunt scene. Yes, it's the exact same scene that they showed at the beginning of this OAV. Why they would show such an important scene at the beginning is beyond me. Since they were smart enough to show it at the beginning, I already knew what was coming... and I laughed when he did. This is the first time ever where I was hoping that an anime character was dead. Do you blame me? They gave me no reason whatsoever to care for any of these characters. Anyway, there was a big explosion and you see Mio and the film crew worrying about whether he is okay. Sure enough, he somehow survives the damn thing!

Ichiya then goes to the hospital and he realizes that he is in love with Mio. She goes to visit him and he confesses to her. Now you would think they would kiss to end this OAV... but no! They just hug and that's it. A total waste of my 30 minutes. Well, I can't entirely blame them since the original material is 9 volumes but... still... I'm sure they could have somehow made this better. Oh, well. At least I can say that I have seen this. Hehe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment