Thursday, March 18, 2010

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Episode 11 Thoughts

Yoshii Akihisa KenshiroYoshii as Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star)

Episode Title: "Long-standing Rival, Love Poem, and Lightning Letter"

What the hell? This episode basically went back to volume 1 of the manga/novel - summoning battle with class D & B. The first half covered the battle with class D and the second half against class B. The speed of this episode was very fast and it also felt a bit condensed, maybe because I have read volume 1 of the manga. I guess, sometimes, it's a disadvantage being familiar with the original material before watching the anime adaptation because... I'm a little disappointed with this episode. Besides, I thought they are limited to 1 shoukanjuu battle every three months? Or does that only apply if they lose?

This shoukanjuu episode proves that their strength lies within repetitive jokes and parodies. It was nice to see Fist of the North Star references in this episode; which comes out later this year in the US by the way. Everything went so fast that I think there were other quick references which I might have missed.

Sadly, they left out a lot of hilarious parts of the manga: the first thing that comes to my mind is the part where Hideyoshi dresses as his sister and provokes class B (I think it's class B if I remember correctly) into going against class A. The second hilarious part in the manga is the Metal Slime joke referring to Yoshii's low HP and evasion. LOL But I can understand why they left it out since they are running out of time with only two episodes left.


Minami Shoukanjuu Baka Test
So the series will focus on their final battle with class A for the last episode(s). I guess I was wrong about how I thought the series was going to end with their battle against class B. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how they will go against class A because, as we know, they will be a tough opponent to beat - Kubo, Yuuko, Aiko, and last but not least Shouko. I really don't see how they can win against them, especially, since this episode have strayed away from the manga: Himeji ripped her love letter after Yoshii got it back for her and, as I said earlier, Hideyoshi did not provoke class B into going against class B.

Another conflict is that the anime already introduced the relationship between Yuuji and Shouko. Will they end the series with an anime original? Looking forward to the shoukanjuu battle of class F VS. class A a.k.a. Yuuji VS. Shouko.

0 comments:

Post a Comment