Thursday, March 4, 2010

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu (バカとテストと召喚獣) Episode 9 Thoughts

Akira Yoshii Baka TestEpisode Title: "Kiss, Bust, and Ponytail"

This episode was pretty calm, as far as fan service and comedy goes, but even then, Baka Test characters are capable of entertaining me. One thing that I realized after watching this episode is the trend of brother complex: first with Hanamaru Kindergarten's Satsuki (episode 6 & 7), this episode of Baka test with Akira Yoshii, and... soon to air in a few hours, Durarara, Seiji's sister (episode 9).

Akihisa Yoshii Yuuji BLI personally think Baka Test handled the brother complex theme brilliantly, in a light-hearted matter which also made it touching in the end. I'm pretty confident most Baka Test fans will find this episode pretty bland or average, which I can totally understand why, but will those same fans start to complain about repetitiveness had they stayed extreme in every episode?

I can only speak for myself when I say "I really like how they've given us different sides of Baka Test". I was really surprised by episode 7 (Grand Park episode with Yuuji & Shouko) because they showed us that they got heart, and they've proven that they have more up their sleeves, not just repetitive comedy or fan-service. Episode 6 was extreme with swimsuit fan-service and episode 8 was extreme with parodies. Now this episode was light-hearted and the next episode will probably be extreme with something else again. See the pattern? It's like they are giving us time to recover after each extreme episode, and I personally appreciate it.

Some of my favorite moments in this episode:
  • Akihisa's perfect text-message timing to Yuuji
  • That said message: "is it okay if I stay at your place tonight? I don't feel like going home tonight"
  • Yuuji x Akihisa BL scenes and Himeji, Minami, and Kubo's reaction
  • Yandere Himeji
  • Himeji in a ponytail
  • Hideyoshi finally getting acknowledged by someone that he is a guy
  • Akihisa and Akira's family bond

0 comments:

Post a Comment