Monday, February 15, 2010

So-Ra-No-Wo-To Episode 7 Impressions

Kuraha @ Slice of Leisure
SNAPSHOT OF THE EPISODE
The reason I picked this picture:
To quote the spirit Alicia had a conversation with
"A few remaining 'bubbles' on the surface of the water".

You know, I'm not usually a fan of military themed shows nor anything to do with historical setting for that matter. Regardless of my tastes and expectations for each new season, I always attempt to give EVERY series an equal chance at the start. Well, I'm glad I have this mindset because...
So-Ra-No-Wo-To has proven to me once again that not everything is what it seems on the surface. I'm pretty confident that people who have NOT seen this show are avoiding it because they are expecting some generic fluff. While I'm also guilty of this initial assessment, I on the other hand attempt to confirm it firsthand before talking trash about anything. Forgive me for slightly butchering one of John Lennon's songs but... "all I am saying.. is give things a chance".

I thought #6 was really excellent. They were able to tug my heart and get me all teary-eyed. It was touching. With my rising excitement from #6, I immediately followed it up with #7. I'm not sure if I hyped up myself too much but... wow... this episode totally blew me away! This episode was the total package- the way they fleshed out Filicia; some suspense during her encounter with a talking spirit of some sort; her flashbacks that shed some light on questions while adding more at the same time to keep us hooked; the nicely done CG of Tachikoma... I mean the 'legendary spiders"; yada yada. All of these compliments and I'm not even a fan of Filicia! I think we can officially take back the stereotypical comments we made about them. Hehe.

I'm still not sure where the series is headed or how the series will end.. but one thing that I know for sure is this: it is now my pleasure to be following this series to the end. The previous two episodes alone has put this series higher on my favorites for this season. Maybe it's the slice-of-life flavor because I'm biased towards it. But a military themed anime? I'm surprised myself. Anyway, Viva La SoraWoto! ^^

0 comments:

Post a Comment