Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Gake no Ue no Ponyo (崖の上のポニョ) Blu-Ray + DVD R1

Finally! I have been waiting for this.. my first Ghibli title on BD! It's a monumental day for me, as I'm sure it is for many Ghibli fans out there as well. I'm no BD techie but I will try to cover some information of this exciting release.

gake no ue no Ponyo
I'm sure there is no need for an introduction to any Ghibli title so let me jump to other information. This BD release of Ponyo also came with a DVD, and I will go into both for those who are curious. Without further ado:


Blu-ray Specs

Main Feature

Video:  1080p High Definition
Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (48 kHz, 24-bit), Japanese and French 5.1 Dolby Digital
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish

Bonus Material

Video: 1080p High Definition or 480i Standard Definition
Audio: English 2.0 Dolby Digital
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish

Contents (I don't have an HD video capture device so I had to resort to taking pics with my digi-cam. These pics don't represent the full glory of this release but I hope you can get an idea)

BD Main Menu  

Disney Ponyo BD













 -Play Movie-
  • Play movie
  • Play movie with disc introduction - Meet Ponyo
  • Play movie with original Japanese storyboards
Ponyo









-Bonus Features-
  • Disc Introduction - Meet Ponyo
Ponyo








  • The World of Ghibli









-Scene Selection-
(Chapters omitted to avoid possible spoilers)

-Set Up-
  • Audio Option - English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, Nihongo 5.1 Dolby Digital, Francais 5.1 DB
  • Subtitles - English, None
 -Sneak Peeks-
  • Play All
  • On Blu-Ray Disc
  • Disney Movie Rewards
  • Genuine Treasure: Tinker Bell
  • Toy Story & Toy Story 2
  • Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue
 -The Disney BD Live-

 DVD Specs


Main Feature

Video: Widescreen (1.85:1) - Enhanced for 16x9 Televisions
Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound, Japanese and French
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish

DVD Main Menu
  











 Scene Selection













 Bonus Features













 Set-up













 Sneak Peeks













Thoughts?

As I said earlier, I'm pretty excited since this is my first Ghibli on Blu-Ray. I can't call myself a BD techie but I did check out the first 10 minutes of the movie out of curiosity for quality. As far as I can tell... it looks amazing! It's the type of release that you would expect from a huge company such as Disney. The audio also sounds superb on my mediocre speaker setup. 

I also checked out the movie with the original Japanese storyboards. I really love how they added a small screen to the top right hand side on top of the movie. I haven't went into "Meet Ponyo" and "World of Ghibli" but it seems like there are tons of excellent Bonus Materials.

I can't wait to watch this during the day time so I can crank this up and enjoy it with full potential. If you're a Ghibli fan, I'm sure you are pretty excited like myself. What do you think of this release?

0 comments:

Post a Comment