Friday, February 19, 2010

Stop!! Hibari-kun! (ストップ!! ひばりくん!) Information

Stop!! Hibari-kun @ Slice of LeisureStop!! Hibari-kun! (ストップ!! ひばりくん!) is a gag manga by Hisashi Iguchi.
It ran in Shueisha's Weekly Shounen Jump from 1981-1983, when Eguchi decided to stop the series. Jump Comics has released all four volumes in Tankoubon (book) form. In 1983, Toei Animation made an anime series which ran on Fuji TV from 1983-1984.
The title is a reference to Hisashi Sekiya's "Stop Onii-chan".
PLOT:
A boy named Kohsaku Sakamoto's mother has just died, and in her will she requests that Kohsaku go and live with her friend Ibari Ohzora, who is...
a yakuza. He meets Ibari's four beautiful daughters, but the prettiest (Hibari) happens to be a boy. Hibari falls in love with Kohsaku, but Kohsaku is more interested in Hibari's friend, Rie. (Source: Wiki).

Toei Animation - Stop!! Hibari-kun! Site

I remember seeing the first 20 episodes of this series years ago and loving it. It's basically a gag comedy that I would compare to Dr. Slump, only wackier and more sexual. Hibari has to be one of the earliest boy>female trap ever introduced in anime. That alone makes this an interesting watch. It seems like traps are very common these days and, I think, they all owe it to Hibari.

I don't remember exactly what episode I left off so I decided to start watching from episode 4, which I decided to blog about. I like to watch my anime raw and if you like raw as well you can also check out Hibari-kun here. If you watch it or have seen Hibari, please comment with your thoughts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment